PORT ST. LUCIE — Juan Soto appreciated his opportunity to reunite with “brothers” on Monday in the Mets’ final Grapefruit League game.
On the other side stood the Yankees — at least something of a representation of the Mets’ crosstown rival, with most of the key players absent.
For Soto, who helped the Yankees to the World Series last season before defecting to the Mets on a record $765 million contract over 15 years, it was a chance to share a few hugs and laughs with former teammates.
“It was a great feeling to get a little bit in touch with those guys,” Soto said after a 6-6 tie at Clover Park. “We have a lot of memories from last year. Just to get to see them and see they are doing well as a team and personally, too, I am happy for them.”
Juan Soto reacts during an at-bat against the Yankees in spring training on March 24.Imagn Images
Juan Soto jogs off the field during the Mets’ spring training game against the Yankees on March 24.IMAGN IMAGES via Reuters Connect
Soto was booed in his home spring training ballpark by many Yankees fans in attendance, but preferred to view the glass as mostly full.
“I think it was a lot of cheers out there, so I take all of that and I was happy for my fans that cheer for their players and I go from there,” Soto said.
Before the game, he convened with his former manager, Aaron Boone, who said he told Soto he looked “terrible” in a Mets uniform.
Soto wasn’t offended.
“It’s just Boonie, he probably doesn’t like the orange and blue,” Soto said. “But for me it’s a different feeling facing those guys out there who went through last year, it was a real fun experience, because you already know their minds, their mindset and how they are — facing [Marcus] Stroman, a guy I was in touch with last year and we’ve had good conversations in the past, so it was pretty cool.”
The Subway Series will consist of six games during the regular season (up from four last year), giving Soto plenty of opportunities this summer for interactions with his old fans.
It starts with three games in The Bronx in mid-May.
“Yankees fans, they can surprise you with anything, so I am expecting the worst,” Soto said.
The Yankees had a rough spring, most notably losing Gerrit Cole to Tommy John surgery and Luis Gil to a lat strain that landed him on the 60-day injured list.
Juan Soto celebrates with his Yankees teammates after they defeated the Red Sox on Sept. 12.Corey Sipkin for the NY Post
Soto said he’s well aware of what has occurred with the Yankees.
“We feel like brothers right now and I keep in touch with a lot of guys over there, so I definitely know what is going on,” Soto said.
The All-Star outfielder was asked for his assessment of the Mets after completing six weeks in camp with his new team.
The Mets broke camp after Monday’s game for a flight to Houston, where they are set to open Thursday.
It’s a team that will open the season with Sean Manaea (oblique), Frankie Montas (lat strain), Francisco Alvarez (rehab from surgery to remove a broken hamate bone in his left hand) and Jeff McNeil (oblique).
“I think we are in a really good spot,” Soto said. “We are a really talented group. We have a lot of guys. We have a lot of outfielders, we have a lot of infielders, so I think we are really loaded as a team. I can’t wait to see these guys going out there. Definitely, we had to go through some adversity in spring training, deal with some injuries and stuff like that. But I think we are going to be fine.”
The Mets are expected to battle with the Braves and Phillies for the NL East crown.
Not surprisingly, Soto isn’t picking the Braves or Phillies to win the division.
“You are always expecting to be at the top,” he said. “It doesn’t matter who is in the division, we still think we are going to be at the top.”